Data previously available from Research Connections are now available from the Child & Family Data Archive. Child care and early education research, publications and other resources remain on Research Connections.

For the best experience, please use Chrome, Firefox, Safari, or Edge.

Child care decision making: Understanding priorities and processes used by low-income families in Minnesota

Resource Type: Reports & Papers
Author(s): Forry, Nicole D.; Isner, Tabitha K.; Daneri, M. Paula; Tout, Kathryn
Date Issued: October, 2014
Description: Few studies have described parents' child care decision-making process, yet understanding how parents make child care choices is fundamental to developing effective services to promote the selection of high-quality care. This study used latent profile analysis to distinguish subgroups of low-income parents identified as having commonalities in the number of options, duration, and sources of information sought as part of their child care decision-making process. Study participants included 260 parents who participated in the baseline wave of the Minnesota Child Care Choices study, a longitudinal phone survey of welfare applicants. Two subgroups of parents were identified. The majority of parents (82%) made choices within 2 weeks and considered on average 2 arrangements. Fewer than half of these parents considered information from experts, public lists, or family members/friends when making a child care choice. The remaining 18% of the sample took on average 11 weeks to make a child care choice, considered on average 3 options, and relied more heavily on information from experts and family members/friends. Practice or Policy: Findings from this study have implications for the marketing of resource and referral counseling services, Quality Rating and Improvement Systems, and consumer education aimed at facilitating the selection of high-quality care. (author abstract)
show entire record ↓
Journal Title: Early Education and Development
Volume Number: 25
Issue Number: 7
Page Range: 995-1015
Topics: Parents & Families > Selection Of Child Care & Early Education Arrangements
Country: United States
ISSN: 1040-9289 Paper
1556-6935 Online
Peer Reviewed: yes
hide record ↑

Our Search Engine Recommends...

what is this? These resources were found by comparing the title, description, and topics of the currently selected resource to the rest of the Research Connections holdings.

Child care decision-making: Emerging findings and policy implications Multimedia
Influences on parents' child care choices: A comparative analysis of preschool and long day care users Reports & Papers
Minnesota Child Care Choices: Child care decision-making and perceptions of quality Fact Sheets & Briefs
Parent perceptions of child care choice and quality in four states [Executive summary] Executive Summary
Parent perceptions of child care choice and quality in four states Reports & Papers

Disclaimer: Use of the above resource is governed by Research Connections' Terms of Use.